Monday, March 1, 2010

My Story Is Not Unique

I am thankful for the title of this entry. I was talking with a cancer survivor and they informed me that they no longer felt like their story was unique. To me that is a wonderful thing! I am glad that this person survived cancer! I am glad that the survival story is loosing it's unique qualities, not that surviving cancer is a minor thing, but that in more people are surviving.

I have mulled this comment over for the last few days, and it is truly one of those things that makes me glad to do what I do. I needed to find something in my life that brought me happiness. Albeit twisted to find happiness in enduring miles in water, on bike, or on foot. If what I do funds through your generosity an increased uniqueness in the survivability of cancer I am benefited in two ways. I am happy moving forward, (preferably on a bicycle), and I am happy to know more cancer survivors.

My own story is not unique, but in it, I am. I have found contentment in who I am in all my insecurities. I still have fear, I still feel small in this world. Neither of these are bad if I push past them and still attempt something that I am interested in and find enjoyment and growth in.

In summation, being unique is a quality we all posses. There are commonalities that we all have just by being human. There are differences in how, and why we are the way we are. By setting aside our own uniqueness, and working for a common goal, success is inevitable. I thank you for working towards the common goal of making cancer survivor stories all the more common!

No comments: