Sunday, June 6, 2010

100 Accomplished Again, But Not Alone!

I gave 110%. I had a great ride through about 72 miles, and started to get back spasms. I wanted to quit. I will not lie about that! I wanted to SAG so bad that it hurt and I could taste it. I did not. I will not say that I got through this on my own. There were many times that there were only one set of foot prints and the most certainly were not mine. I know that I was carried. Be it by God. Be it from the courage I saw from my TEAMMATES today.

Misty pulled me aside and commented on my lack of focus as I already knew I had done this once. She told me to take my knowledge and apply it to help someone else. I did this several times today. I helped people who fell on climbs. I encouraged others when I was struggling. I did not quit in front of my TEAMMATES.

Sarah showed more resolve than I have seen in four years. She put her skin in the game and came through with flying colors. I wanted to get in the SAG wagon so bad at mile 84, but Jasen and Sarah had caught me at a water stop. Sarah was struggling with the fatigue, but there was an inner resolve that I have not witnessed before. I cannot say for sure because she was on her game 110%. I would not SAG in front of her no matter what the cost to my physical discomfort.

Jasen stuck with us through thick and thin. He has that coaches gift that I will never have to just be there, be quiet, and be a strong force to keep you motivated without saying anything. I apologized profusely for having to walking up the final hills. I could not pedal through them despite being in my lowest gear. Every time I tried, the spasms would increase 10 fold. Walking up the hills was not comfortable but was tolerable.

Upon finishing the entire TEAM was there to cheer for me. I am a bit down on myself as this probably caused them all to miss the very short victory party, but was very heart warming. They helped me off my bike and took it over to ship back, gave me a beer and a lot of hugs. Sarah should have been the focal point, and the coalescing person due to her achievement today not me. I just did my job as a mentor, but I should not have been the last one in. I do feel that I did the honorable thing at least and put my pain aside to ensure that my weakness would not impair her success, (even though that may not have happened).

Everybody finished! Everybody busted there humps! Everybody achieved their goal.

I may have had my doubts about myself last night, but as I said someone else carried me through. It was not my achievement, it was the love, thought, and prayers of everyone that somehow got me through this. I am not overly impressed by my contributions as a mentor, but I did give the 110% that I said I would. I did not quit. I did finish. So maybe I should just sit back crack another beer and enjoy the achievement.

No comments: