Monday, October 6, 2008

Swimming In Concrete Only Denser

Today was the first swim workout where I felt like I was swimming in something like concrete only denser. I took both Saturday and Sunday off, and expected an awesome workout. I really enjoyed last weeks 1700 yards that was mainly just long swim distances without sprints. I am really not a fan of the sprint as I am not good at it..... (yet)!

This week is all icky sprints! 10 X 50 on the 1:05, and then 200 yards, then 10 X 50 on the 1:10. This is first time I have not been able to carry at least half of the sprints ahead of the clock catching me. Was it too much rest? Was it a negative attitude? Was it a weekend of eating wrong?

I don't know what the problem was, but I failed miserably in the workout. I did not quit! I did the distance, but I had absolutely nothing in the tank to come anywhere near achieving what the workout called for. My times are still miles ahead of where they were 13 weeks ago, but I am not happy with myself. What should have taken 11 minutes on the 1:10 10 X 50's took 14 minutes. I don't know if I am lacking strength, or if it was just an off day.

I had my body fat percentage taken after two months of swimming, and it has gone down 1.6%, but it is all in my chest. My upper body has never been in such good shape. My measurement went down from July 8 at 37.5 mm to 24.5 mm which is a 13mm loss in fat and development of lean muscle in the pectoral. This is a plus, but I was hoping for more. I am not quitting, just know that I need to change my diet and increase my activity level. I am still swimming 4000 to 6000 yards or more a week, but it has been hard to fit it all in with family responsibilities. I need to start spinning, and fit a run or two in a week.

I am using motivation from my family member's ordeal. I am using my hatred of cancer to push when I don't want to workout. I am not a failure, I merely suffer from the human condition of weakness. I am committed, and will continue to commit myself to the goal. I need to make some sacrifices to get to the next level. I need to give up some vices. I need to take a deep and meaningful look at who I am and where I need to get to, to make a difference. All of which feels like swimming in concrete, only it feels much more dense.

No comments: