Monday, January 19, 2009

Go TEAM!

Dear Friends and Family,



For the past two years, I have ridden a bicycle 100 miles, and walked and run 26.2 miles, to fight a disease. I hate cancer in any form. It steals so much and in return offers nothing. I come back to you for the third year with my hat in my hand to humbly ask you to make a difference in fighting a disease that takes so much from so many. I ask not for me but for those suffering from cancer. I am training to participate in an Olympic distance triathlon to raise money to fight blood cancers. Swimming 0.93 miles, Cycling 24.8 miles, and Running 6.2 miles in hope of one day ending these diseases!

This year, I am doing this event in honor of two people very close to me that are currently fighting cancer. My personal honorees are my grandfather, and my sister. When cancer strikes this close to home, you can do one of two things; 1) bury your head in your hands and dissolve into hoping it will go away, or 2) Stand up, slug the bully in the eye and fight with every fiber in your body to end it. I choose option two, and I hope you will as well.

The TEAM honoree is a remarkable young man of 14. He happens to be a member of my local community, Eric Dahlquist. Eric was diagnosed with (ALL) Acute lymphocytic leukemia, and has fought his way through treatments to take his last chemo pill on April 29, 2008. He still has monthly doctor visits that will begin to taper off starting April of 2009. Eric has been the honoree of the triathlon team for the last two years. To say that he is inspiring is an understatement. He likes to play video games, golf, swim and camp. He has the support of Dad, Neil; Mom, Marcia; and sister, Ellen.

As a member of TNT, I have a triathlon coaching staff, a training program, and incredible teammates to support me. I have daily schedules and TEAM training sessions to help me reach this goal. As part of my dedication to the LLS, I have agreed to raise $2,700. I am asking you to help me with the most significant part of this challenge. I promise to earn your contribution with every swim stroke, pedal crank, and stride. This year the event is local for those in Minnesota, and if you want to see this spectacle in person, mark your calendar for July 11, 2009 at Lake Nokomis starting at 07:00 CDT.

LLS and TNT has changed me at the very core of my being. I am no longer a lost individual wandering through my time on earth. I now have focus, commitment and a goal of eradicating blood cancer. 72 cents of every dollar goes right to research to find a cure for blood cancer. This research is increasing survival rates. It is also moving us forward to a day when we can all celebrate the cure for blood cancers. It is my hope that what is learned from this fight will transfer to fighting all forms of cancer.

Would you please join me in the endeavor? I am asking for $30.00, but will gladly accept a contribution of any amount, smaller or larger. Please donate online or mail your contributions to me by May 19 so I can track my fundraising progress. Donations are 100% tax-deductible Please check with your Human Resources Directors about matching gifts. Donate online and track my progress on my Web site: http://pages.teamintraining.org/mn/lifetri09/mmcelyea . Checks can be made out to LLS, just use the self-addressed enclosed envelope along with any thoughts you may wish to share with me.

Thank you in advance for your support! Thank you for your prayers, and thoughts for all enduring these serious illnesses. We can all make a difference in this fight!

With heartfelt appreciation and thanks,


Marc

No comments: