Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mini Me And One That Looks Like Me

Often I post about training. While tonight, I did swim to make up a missed session and also rode for the hour the schedule called for, I won't say much other than the ride was awesome despite the wind, and the swim was lack luster at best due to shoulder issues.

Tonight instead, I will write about my children. I have one that is my mini me, "E". I have another that looks like me "I".

"E", is like me in so many ways, and yet her own unique person. We have a bond forged out of my inexperience as a parent blessed without power and a wife back in the hospital due to a post Cesarean section infection. A tornado hit Shoreview the day we brought her home from the hospital almost 11 years ago and my life has never been the same, "thank God"! She unfortunately has all my weakness and anger, but there is a spark deep within that glows and will someday shine beyond the brilliance of the sun.

"E" was crying as I checked on her tonight after she had gone to bed. I don't do so well with tears as I am not conditioned to understand this as a coping mechanism. Crying is not quitting in my book, but I don't fully understand it as stress relief.

I inquired what was wrong. She was worried about a school project that she did not have done. I asked if she had brought it home and she stated no as they would have more class time to finish it. I asked, then what was the issue? She stated, that she was not sure that she would be able to finish it in class. I asked her if she could have brought it home? She said yes, but did not feel at the time that she did not think she needed to, because of the extra class time.

I asked that she compose herself, and I would come back and discuss it with her. I gave her about a minute, and she had calmed down. I went back into her room and asked if she had tried her best today on this project? She said that she believed she had. I asked if she would try her hardest to complete it in class tomorrow? She said that she would. I then told her that if you do your best, nobody can ever complain about that. I asked that she take it as a lesson though regardless of the outcome, success or failure.

If you get it done, maybe next time you bring it home so you don't stress about it and can do a more thorough job of preparing. If you don't get it done, I won't be mad, but I want you to remember it, so that even though you have the extra class time you will put in some extra time to succeed.

I can tell you that mini me is exactly like I was and still am. I hope she learns that she is amazing before she faces the strife that I have inflicted upon myself.

"I" the one that looks like me. There is no denying that this one is my progeny! She is a precious gem that I adore, but due to this we struggle to understand each other. She is mommy's little angel and justifiably so. I don't always get it right with this one. I need to extend more of myself to this one. She is one of the most compassionate little people I know. She is tender. She is giving. She is fragile.

"I" came down tonight to give me a hug before bed. I was watching "Biggest Loser" after they had, as I was recording it as I was out riding. "I" is a big fan of the show. "I" is a little heavier than she should be, but when she hits her growth spurts, she slims out and is fine.

I asked her if she was ready to ride her bike around the lake with me this year? I have been hesitant to take her on this trip as she is not confident on her bike yet. She immediately started to cry and said that no she was not ready. I asked her why? She said it would it is too far. I said we could train for it and that I knew she could make it. She said no, she could not. I said it is only seven miles, I know you can make it. She said that riding a bike is too hard. I asked if it would be easier to walk it instead of riding it? She said that she said yes walking is easier. I asked her why she felt this way? She said that she was better at it than riding.

I asked her why she liked "Biggest Loser" so much? She said it is nice to see people succeed. I asked do you think you can succeed? She said no. I said I know you can, you just have to believe in yourself. Do you think you can ride with me around the circle with me twice, (we live on a half mile circle) ? She said yes, that is easy. I asked can you do that four times? She said yes, but that will be harder. I said then you are one third around the lake. I told her that if she can make it around the lake, she can pick her reward. We will make this goal an achievement by the end of the summer.

I am not a gifted father. I do not have the patience nor the deduction my parents had to make the job seem easy. On rare occasions, I am able to step outside myself and get it right. Tonight, I think I got it right twice. I was able to help one see that trying your best is all anyone can ask of you. I was able to help the other set a goal for themselves. Now it comes down accepting the consequence for one, and helping the other reach a goal. All I can say is that I am glad that I have one that is my mini me and one that looks like me. They are both amazing, challenging and my daughters.

No comments: