Saturday, April 25, 2009

Two Movies and Insight

I came home today from a TEAM run. I was dreading due to weather. I had looked at the radar, and expected to run in the rain from the images Intellicast was projecting. I almost bagged going, because nobody likes to be cold and wet besides Navy Seals. Upon arriving home after a seven mile run, (one more mile than I will have to run for the Tri) I turned the TV on to "Henry V".

"Henry V" or Henry the Fifth is an epic struggle dramatised by Shakespeare of France versus England. England is beleaguered and vastly out manned in the final confrontation. England's forces find within themselves the courage and endurance to reach their goal of victory in arms. King Henry uses the Saint Crispin day speech to insight courage and bravery amongst his troops. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Crispin

During my run today, there were many times that I needed to find courage to continue running. I felt tightness in my hip flexors and knee pain as I ran. I have made a vow to myself to not walk during the training sessions. I am not sure if I can keep this vow as the heat rises, (but I will try). My big frame thrives on the cool weather. It does not like heat, as I produce enough of that when I work out, (and when I talk). I love "Henry V", and the Shakespearian speech there in:

Henry V:-
"This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day"

Those who remained a-bed are no less remarkable than myself, but are willing to spill there money in pursuit of my belief in the ending of blood cancer. For this, I consider them my brothers and sisters, and thank them for their conviction.


Upon completion of this movie, the next was "American Flyers". This is a story about bike racing and brothers. It stars Kevin Costner and David Marshall Grant. It is a story about a brother's love. David Marshall Grant wins a bike race after his brother, Costner's health is failing due to an incurable brain aneurysm.


This movie is one that I saw originally in the mid 80's. At the time, I was in love with riding a bicycle, but did not know that it would later in life re-emerge as a passion. I would often quote this movie when riding with friends "Hold your line!", as they swerved in front of me.


I find it a paradox that I am now, swimming, riding, and running in honor of my sister and her fight with a disease, that this movie resurfaces in my life. This movie was recommended to me earlier in the year by a friend and TEAMmate that I rode Tahoe with. I streamed it from Netflix after his bringing it up. I enjoyed it immensely. Three months later, (today) I watched it again with different eyes. I say with different eyes because of my struggles this morning, and what pushed me through to the end. I am not out there because I am important. I am out there because I truly believe in the cause that I am representing. I am out there to honor my sister, not my personal involvement.



A brother's love is something that while usually unsaid is there. It is a very tangible thing. It is a responsibility that cannot be set aside or shirked. It is to be accepted willingly, and without obligation from the loved one. It can grant resolve, and imbue you with stamina when you believe you have none left.



Funny how two of my favorite movies should appear on the same day back to back. Funny how I am now granted a different insight to the meanings that they originally provided. I thought they originally were about bravery and success without fear. I now can look at them and see that they are about bravery, and the willingness to fail in pursuit of a goal despite having fear.


No comments: