Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Different Form Of Success

I cannot sit here and say I was successful in what I wanted to do today. I am not ashamed to sit here and say what I got to do today turned into success. My ride was all up hill today literally. I rode out of Afton, MN with doubt in my head. I put it in my lowest gear and I climbed slower than I would like, but I climbed. I got to the top of the hill and felt a wobble in my rear wheel, and fearing a flat pulled over to correct the issue. Much to my dismay, it was a broken spoke and a wheel out of true. My ride ended roughly five miles in.

This could have been very destructive, but maybe with age and experience came some wisdom. I asked to be sagged back to Afton. I called one bike shop nearby, and got the maybe we have the spoke, maybe we don't. I hung my ride up and got in my truck to run additional Sag support.

What I would do now was support my TEAM. I would drive ahead, and I would wait. I would offer whatever meager support I could. When the last person passed me, I would drive ahead and wait for everyone to pass. I got to see a different side of my TEAM today. I got to see hard work, dedication, commitment, perseverance, struggle, circumstances out of our control, (including my own mechanical issue), bonding, and success.

There were people that did need to be sagged ahead. There were people that showed courage by getting back on their bikes. There were people who pushed through mental monsters. There were people that just put there noses to the grind stone an pushed and achieved.

I got to know my TEAMmates a little better today. I had a chance to speak with those I was sagging. I got to take it all in without holding a pity party for myself. I got to make a difference in how some got through the day. It might not have been my intended success when I rolled out of bed, but in the end, I think it was a much more meaningful outcome.

To witness a whole group stand and cheer for the final person coming in after 90 miles, and see that person breakdown and realize what they had just accomplished, is the reason I love being a part of this organization. It teaches, to think beyond yourself. It gives a common goal. It makes us grow in many different ways. It has taught me that some things are outside of my control, and I just need to roll with it.

Today was not what I expected. Today was a pretty valuable lesson. I have not had much success fighting mental issues this season, but I can honestly say I enjoyed the hell out of a day that did not go my way. Today I was privileged to watch others succeed and to really enjoy watching it.

No comments: