Tuesday, February 24, 2009

12:41 Avg over 3 Miles, $2, and Lessons Learned!

I am not sure which is more special to me, the fact that I just got done running and I carried a 12 minute 41 second average over three miles, or the fact that I received a $2.00 donation this week. Tell you what, I will try to explain why both are incredible.

The more important I would say is the $2.00 donation! This donation was made by someone who has been out of work for the last seven months as a casualty of the current economic crisis. For this person to take the time out of their personal situation and lend a hand to someone fighting cancer, gave me pause to reflect. I've said before that what you guys do in this effort is far more important than what I do. This is the most vibrant example of that statement I can possibly share with you to prove that point. I am humbled! I am grateful! No amount is too small if given from the heart.

The second is a personal achievement. I sit here astounded that in 16 days, I have gone from 15 minute average over three miles down to 12 minutes and 41 seconds. Where will I be in another two weeks?

I am not a runner. I used to run a lot as a child, and was fast. I recalled tonight as I was around 1.5 miles into the route that I used to run with my dad. We used to go out and run together, and then I would sprint home ahead of him toward the end. I remember one day that routine hurt his feelings. He expressed to me that he enjoyed running with me, but he would like to finish with me once and a while. Funny how that memory came up as I was running by myself. I am now about the size he was then, and probably of a similar age. I have to tell you, if I was running with someone around the age I was back then, I don't believe that I would have the humility and patience he did. Dad the lesson of that day, was learned, and I am grateful for you teaching it to me.

No comments: