Wednesday, February 4, 2009

2009 Season Is Off And Paddling!!!

Tonight was the first night of the season! Swimming with this many people is a big change. I am very glad that I started last July with the swimming. I did not have the apprehension that I would have, had I not started then. I felt comfortable in the water.

We did drills for the first 15 minutes, and then threw in a couple of 50's, and one 100. Not overly challenging other than having to avoid all the people in your lane. I would hazard a guess of about 6 people in each lane maybe up to 8. All swimming a different paces and trying to avoid colliding. It made it very interesting!

To see this many people, together for the same reason is amazing. New faces, new names to learn, new stories to hear and share. I don't consider myself much of a joiner, but there is something about this organization that makes me feel alive. I am able to just be who I am and am more open to the experience that life is. I'm more outgoing around these folks, then my normally reserved (read self-conscious) personality usually allows.

In the mission moment tonight, one of the mentors shared his story. He has a grandmother that is fighting Leukemia at the age of 92. He has a cousin that is now a seven year survivor. the most moving part of his story was about a friend that lost her fight with pancreatic cancer. This woman was also an Oncologist. She developed treatments to fight cancer, and bravely encouraged her colleagues to test those treatments on her. If that is not bravery and being a hero, then I have no idea what those two words mean.

Tomorrow night is a spin class in Edina. I don't know that I will make it down there as we have basketball for E. I will go spin after work for an hour and call that good. Then a TEAM run on Saturday around lake Calhoun. I will probably throw in a swim before the run, and then another swim on Sunday.

1 comment:

Kimmi said...

Congrats on kicking off the season! The swims get better - or at least the people get more comfortable with the lanes and circle swimming. Proud of you (even though you're a Steelers fan).