Friday, May 1, 2009

Things Change For A Reason

Today was a good day. Today was a challenge. Today was a chance to see how far things have changed in the last two years.

I went to a farewell party for the Help Desk where I used to work. Unfortunately most of these folks that I used to work with were let go from their jobs. These are all good people that lost their jobs because of "cost savings". Fortunately, they all seem happy! Really fortunately most have found new employment!!

I worked with most of these people for 16 years. I am very happy for them! I miss associating with them on a daily basis.

with the weakness of our current economy, I am thrilled that things at this party were so upbeat. Things change for a reason. Most of us invest ourselves in our jobs. This is a good thing. It means that we are committed to the success of the company we work for. The bad thing is that most of us define ourselves only by our jobs. We don't need to! We are all unique. We all posses gifts and talents. We need to release our gifts and talents upon the world.

For me, I used to define myself only by my job. I luckily found an organization that allowed me to expand the definition of myself beyond what I did for a living. Without the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, I would probably still only define myself by my job. I am more than what I do to put food on the table and pay the mortgage now. I am not superior to anyone, I am just an individual amongst the throng of humanity. I do not diminish myself with that last sentence, but define myself in more totality. I can work to feed and shelter my family, but I can also grow in my humanity by striking down a disease that affects all of us in one form or another with your help.

I was invigorated today when some of these people that I worked with for so long did not recognize me. 60 pounds gone from my frame and no hair could have contributed to that lack of recognition. But in reality, I hope that most of them did not recognize me initially on the fact that they have never seen me so happy.

I was not happy with who I was when I worked with them. I needed to change to grow. I needed to leave my comfort zone to change. I needed to learn that change while frightening is not always negative. Things change for a reason, sometimes beyond our comprehension. Roll with the waves of change. Don't always be resistant to change. I am learning that our greatest experiences can come with change. In retrospect, our greatest pain can come from resisting change as well. Things change for a reason embrace it and move forward.

No comments: