Sunday, July 20, 2008

San Diego Rock N Roll Marathon 2008

The start of the race. I am some where back on the left by the buses you can barely make out in the background. Kind of like playing Where's Waldo...




Reaching the 19.2 safety zone. I got to see my TNT staff person Kristen at this point. It was nice to see a friendly face!!!!



This is only 2 miles after the picture above. Boy, can you say total body cramping!!!! I did not see the photographer taking this shot. I probably would have maimed them if I had the ability. Happens to be one of my favorite shots from this adventure. None of this comes easy. It would not be worth it if it did!!!




Since I have told myself this is the last full marathon that I am ever doing, I am going to sprint across the finish!!!!

















26.2 finishers medal! Chip time for this distance: 7:38:03
Average of 17 minute 48 second a mile.







Well we did it! We made it across our finish lines. Jenny was able to reach her goal of 13.1 and I, mine of 26.2. Of the two, I am most proud of her achievement! I will get back to that after I tell you about the second best weekend of my life!

You guys are part of the success of this past weekend. There were 3400 TNT participants at this last weekends San Diego Rock N Roll Marathon http://www.rnrmarathon.com/home.html . All of the participants combined raised $12.5 million dollars. The eleven year total raised through this event is a staggering $134.6 million!!! Way to go!

At the pasta party the main speaker was John "The Penguin" Bingham. He is an author and a writer for Runners World. He was animated to say the least and very funny. He introduced and presented an award to an 84 year old lady that was running in her 10th and last marathon in San Diego. He is the man behind the quote:

The miracle isn't that I finished...The miracle is that I had the courage to start.

John Bingham introduced David Monson who is the husband of the late four time Iditirod Sled Dog Race winner Susan Butcher http://www.susanbutcher.com/. Mr. Monson informed of us the loss of his wife to Leukemia in a very moving speech. He stated that for all of the TNT participants that the next time they needed to look for a hero, that they should look to their left or right or at the table next to them or in the mirror. He said that he was in a room full of people who were doing something for someone in need. You may not have been in that room with us, but it is through your generous contributions that Jenny and I were there to represent you. You are all heros! I say that because without you none of this is possible.

We retired from the pasta party and were left to our own devices to prepare for the marathon. Jenny has this unbelievable ability to just be in the moment. She takes the tension in stride and presses on. I on the other hand start to doubt myself and become very introverted. I was able to say positive things to her and yet feel that some how I was not ready for the next day's endeavor. She assured me that I was going to be just fine. We retired to sleep, and unlike last year I was actually able to get four solid hours of sleep. Jenny with her gift was able to sleep as well. We awoke at 01:30 PDT. We needed to be down to the gathering point at 03:00 PDT for team photos and then off to the bus for Balboa park. Jenny said first thing "Oh my God it is early." To which I replied "Come on, you need to stay positive today." In rebuttal I got "Okay, I am positive it is really early" (one point for Jenny). The marathon did not start until 06:30 PDT, but with all the traffic you need to be there early!

We were sitting in Balboa park getting ready to head to our corral (marathoner speak for starting point). They put the faster folks in the lower numbered corrals and the slower in the higher. We were in number 23 the last corral. The race started promptly at 06:30 PDT. We did not take step one forward until about 06:45 PDT. I believe we crossed the Starting line about 06:55 or so. It was really interesting to be a part of this mass of humanity moving forward. People standing on their balconies waving to you with a cup of coffee in their other hand and yelling good luck. As Jenny and I crossed the Starting line holding hands, we kissed each other and wished each other good luck. She said she would call when she got done at 13.1 miles.

Coach (Rosanne) and I did the first mile in about 16 minutes. We progressed on for about another 1/2 mile until Coach went back to walk with some of the others on our team. I was feeling good, and was enjoying the music every 1/2 mile or so. I met a lady between mile two and three named Peggy. Peggy is a retired Lieutenant-Colonel from the army where she served as a nurse. We were moving at a good pace and chatting as we went. We met up with coach again but we only walked together with her for a bit before both Peggy and I needed to stop for a biological break at mile eight or so. Some how we did not relocate each other upon completion of said break. So I started out on my own up highway 163 which is shut down for the race. I was laughing, joking and encouraging others as I went. This is also about the time that the cloud cover burned off and the sun came out in full!

I reached the 13.1 mile marker about three hours in if memory serves. At this point I was flagged down by another TNT participant and asked if I could take Aurora for "a mile up the road". Aurora was a visually impaired participant. I said yes that I would help. I assumed that the participant that asked me to help would be back as she was probably trained on helping a visually impaired person in a marathon and just needed a break. So off Aurora and I go.

Aurora is a very diminutive woman. Maybe four foot six inches if I had to guess. She informed me that she had done several marathons and that she has run into obstacles with being allowed to participate. She really wanted to get to the 19.2 mile cut-off before 12:30 PDT. Once you reach this point you are allowed to finish the 26.2 without interference. I was shooting for the same goal I stated. We were making good time but Aurora was holding my left hand versus my elbow because of the height difference. This started to put a spasm in my back as I was not able to swing both arms. Aurora was fairly patient in teaching me how to lead. She instructed me that the visually impaired have the right of way on the course. She was allowed to cut 90 degree corners by crossing curbs at a 45 degree angle. As we progressed through the course, we would hit cheering stations, and my race bib had my name on it so I would hear "way to go Marc", "Keep it going Little Giant". Aurora it turns out is: Aurora Ortiz and is known as the Little Giant. I found out that Aurora is involved with the San Diego Blind Recreation Center, She is a surfer and is pretty popular in the community.

At about mile 16 my phone starts to ring with Jenny's ringtone. I tell Aurora that I need to take this call. Jenny tells me that she is done. I tell her how proud I am of her and I start to break down. This was something that I really wanted for Jenny. I wanted it for her so that she could become active and healthier. I wanted it so that she could understand why TNT is so important to me. As I am walking and crying, Jenny and I say our see you laters at my finish line. Aurora pats me on the hand and tells me that she thinks that it is special that I am happy for my wife to complete her half marathon (Jenny finished with another of our teammates Vicki). We talk about Jenny, and keep moving forward.

I did my best to get Aurora to the 19.2 mile marker, but at about mile 18, I needed to seek medical attention for my left foot (BLISTER, OUCH!)! I stopped another TNT participant and honestly explained that if she would help Aurora on, I would TRY and catch back up and take up the responsibility again. I was in the medical station for about five to ten minutes. I was not able to catch up to Aurora, but I know that she finished via the results page. She finished about 15 minutes before I did.

It was after I got out of the medical station that I noticed Peggy out in front of me. I jogged/hobbled back up to her and said hello. Peggy it turns out will be this years event angel for me. Last year it was my chiropractic angel Leslie who saved the day by fixing my ailing foot. This year Lieutenant-Colonel Peggy R.N (Army Ret.) who used the mantra "It's mind over matter Marc. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!" to get me through to the finish line.

As Peggy and I were crossing the magic 19.2 mile marker into the safety zone where I would be able to finish no matter how long it took, we were walking in a group of young ladies that were getting cat called to by some college age gentlemen ( I use that term lightly here). The fine young men were cheering "Go Hottie, Go Hottie", and the young ladies were not receptive to the cheers. So me and my ever present ability to keep my mouth shut (oh yeah, I don't have that ability), I shouted back in my best lispy voice "Stop staring at my legs you silly savages!" The young ladies and the women nearby loved my retort and started to laugh at the not so genteel gentlemen. I got a few thank you's and we all trooped on.

Somewhere around mile 20 or so my body decided it was not really happy doing this anymore. My strides were getting shorter, the day was getting hotter, my stomach was getting upset. In comes that saying I will hear over and over (Thank GOD!) "It's mind over matter Marc. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!" As I continue to move forward towards the finish, it is time for another biological break. As I get back on the course, my last two teammates catch up and pass me (Louise, and Ken). We exchange plesantries, and they can tell I am in my own kind of personal hell. They are also hurting but they need to keep moving. I am so happy to see them again and know that they are going to make it. Coach pops up again and walks with Louise and Ken for a bit before falling back to Peggy and I. Both Coach and Peggy leave me in my happy place (mentally hiding from the pain) when necessary, but when they need to pull me back to consciousness I hear: "It's mind over matter Marc. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!" Between Mile 22 and 23, coach goes on ahead to help Louise and Ken.

Peggy's coach pops up, (I am sorry I do not recall his name) he jokes with me and keeps me moving by using what I call Marathon Math. Marathon Math is out right lying! Everything is down hill from here! Only a 1/2 mile to go! You seeing a trend here? I know I am being bamboozled here, but I am okay with it because you have to take everything in small steps from mile 20 to 26.2. Win each small battle and you will win the war. Peggy, calls her daughter somewhere in the 22 to 23 mile range. She tells her that she is going to be about another hour "She's helping a trooper who's struggling". Who might that be?

Peggy starts telling me "your doing it Marc!" She also tells me "I am not going to leave you out here!" You know what? I knew she meant it. That was the most unbelievable part of it, here is someone I just met this morning, and she was willing to stay out there with me and keep me going. This is the part of TNT that is so remarkable. Nobody is a stranger! Nobody will leave you alone on the course. Everybody out there in purple is out there for another human being and will help you through your tough times too. Don't forget, every once and a while, I would hear: "It's mind over matter Marc. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!" The miracle here is that the first time that I got down mentally on myself was at mile 23. It was only for a brief moment, and then I pushed down the thoughts and kept moving. This is a vast improvement over last year even!

We trudged along, and coach came back to help Peggy, help me. They are kidding me that when we go under the overpasses that I am slow to come out. Very true because the sun is a pain in the butt. Nice and cool in the shade! about 23.5 miles or so, one of the bands is finishing up playing. The crowd starts to chant "one more, one more!" It turns out the one more the band chooses to play is the Star Spangled Banner. I remove my ball cap as they start to play. I don't dare stop moving. I sing along as best I can between sobs. It is a very moving moment for me as tears stream down my face unabashedly. I think it fired me up just enough to reach the end. I webble and wobble my way into the Marine Recruiting Station, and shake as many of the Marine's hands as I can, and say thank you for them being out to cheer us on. I get to the 26.1 mile mark, and I make my mind up I am going to run as fast as I can across th at damn line I have been looking for all day. From somewhere in my body came the energy to run, and run I did! I did not finish fast, my time was between 7 hours and 45 minutes to 8 hours and 4 minutes. I am not able to find myself in the marathon website results page. I did not finish pretty ( I was a bedraggled, hobling, blistered mess)! But I did finish!!!! To borrow John "The Penguin" Bingham's quote:

The miracle isn't that I finished...The miracle is that I had the courage to start.

To borrow the military addage of " It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!" I did not mind the pain I was in because it did not matter to me. Honoring your donation is what mattered to me. I wanted to honor your contribution with attaining what I said I would do to earn it. My pain is irrelavant to the pain that our honoree's endure. My pain will heal in a couple of days, my struggle for this year is done. The honoree's and their family's continue to endure until we find a cure. Thank you for your faith in Jenny and I!

Without Peggy there to be my angel, I don't know if I would have made it on this one. Coach was a very big part of it too. Nobody quit on me, including myself! I got my 26.2 finishers medal, I got a hug from my wife. She showed me her 13.1 finishers medal with a look of pride on her face. I can cross this one off of my life's to do list. One more event to my Tripple Crown a Tri-Athalon next year!

Everybody on the Minnesota team finished either their half or full marathons! Jenny is even talking about another half-marathon.

With love and appreciation for each and everyone of you!

Marc

Marathon Walker
Century Rider




My 2008 Event Angel Peggy!




My everyday angel, my wife Jenny!




1 comment:

Kate said...

Mark, I have a copy of this in my email box, but it was totally worth re-reading. Your story is inspirational, and has started me on the path of just working out every morning. Keep it up!