Monday, August 4, 2008

Pace Yourself and Smile

So I made my goal of 5000 - 6000 yards in the pool last week! I actually made 6300 yards.

I copied my week three and four workouts today and printed them. To look at the week ahead, I have 1200 yards for the week 3 work out. Now there are 6 X 100's with only 15 seconds of rest between plus all the drills. Oh my Lord, how am I going to accomplish this. "Pace Yourself" comes to mind.

I head to the pool with some trepidation in my heart, but what is life without some challenge? I have had a good day, and have not struggled at much today. A physical challenge is just what I need. I have a massage scheduled for 18:00 CDT, so even if this hurts the pain should be eased afterwards.

Do my warm up and drills, and take 45 seconds of rest before embarking on something that I don't know if I am capable of. I have to count the 100's and the length in the current one so that I do not cheat. So, swimming while focusing on form and repeating the mantra of 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 take 15 seconds of rest, and embark on 100 number two. By the time I am on number four, I am smiling in the pool. This has to look silly, but who cares, and who is watching!

I finished all 6 X 100's without extending my 15 seconds of rest between. If you told me I would be able to do this in the morning, I would have been suspect of your sanity! I am still not fast, but that is not the goal. The distance and form are what I am pursuing at present. The speed will come with increased physical strength and fitness!

Time to go enjoy my massage with a sense of accomplishment, and maybe a continued smile!

Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. - Joshua J. Marine

No comments: