Saturday, August 2, 2008

To Friends With Aspirations

This is not an entry about me. By surrounding myself with successful people with aspirations, I hope to become what these people are! I have two friends that are chasing the Ironman dream. Ironman is a poor choice of a name for a race that both men and women compete in. I feel that it should be called Iron Will. All endurance events are a test of mental fortitude. These two ladies are very inspiring.

Kimmi & Rachel are chasing a dream that will very likely become reality. I wish that when I was their age, I would have possessed the focus that they have. They made a decision to do something, they are putting in the effort and they will achieve it.

I met these two individuals at a TEAM party after my Tahoe century. I have ridden with them a few times, and am astounded by them. I gave them grief the first time I met them, like I did all of the tri-athletes at the party. I told them that they were tri-athletes because they were not able to commit to one sport. Funny now that I am trying to do what they accomplish with ease. Not to say what they have accomplished did not come without sacrifice.

Kimmi mentored the tri TEAM with TNT for the Lifetime Triathlon this year, and I believe that Rachel was involved as well with the TEAM. In between their endeavors with TNT, they have been pursuing the dream of becoming Iron Will finishers. Last week, they both completed the half Iron Will in Chisago, MN. This test covers 1.2mile Swim | 56mile Bike | 13.1mile Run, for a total of 70.3 miles under your own power. This was just another training and learning day for their date with 140.6 miles on September 7, 2008.

This weekend, they decided to go ride the Madtown (a.k.a Madison), WI cycle course. for their approaching endeavor. They completed over 100 miles of the course in around six hours. In the process, Kimmi completed her first Century!

I am proud of these two ladies. I hope to instill some of their intestinal fortitude in my own two little girls. My hat is off to both Kimmi and Rachel for their accomplishments thus far, and in what they will achieve in the future.

Ladies keep moving forward, look back with a smile, and embrace your future. You two will go far in this life.

1 comment:

Ms. R said...

Marc, you have me crying at work. Thank you for such kind words!