Sunday, May 17, 2009

Argentina Day 1

Well, I arrived safely! It was an interesting ride from Minneapolis to Chicago, Chicago to Dulles Washington D.C. Would have just missed my flight out of D.C. if not for weather holding all outbound flights as it did all in bound ones. Got headed to Buenos Aires about an hour later than scheduled, but that is okay as I was able to make the flight!!!!

My entrance through customs was smooth. Swine flu is a concern down here and the Ministry of Health required the entire plane to wear masks. Talking with an American Expatriate, he stated that it is more of a public relations move to make the people feel safe. Basically you wear the mask down the hall way to immigration and they look at you and say "you look healthy, please take your mask off and welcome to Argentina."

Went down to baggage claim and got my suitcase after a short wait. Went out of baggage claim and met my driver. Between my poor broken Spanish and his basic English, we were able to have an enjoyable conversation about sports and the weather.

I was amazed to see bicycles on the roads equivilant to our interstate system in America. I asked if the police ever kicked the cyclists off the interstates. No, was the response. Nice flat roads with wide shoulders. Could be an interesting place to ride as you could probably crank up some good speed. I don't know if I would be that comfortable with the traffic zooming by that fast though.

I am going to grab a nap and start prepping for my meetings tomorrow. Hasta Luego.

No comments: