Monday, May 18, 2009

Argentina Dia Dos

My first day of business in Argentina was one filled with new experiences.

I am so grateful to not have to drive down here. I don't know if I would have the courage to get behind the wheel of a car. It is a very chaotic road system. Lanes are created at will it seems. At one point today, I looked from my back seat residence to my right and I am facing the driver of an opposing automobile. Both cars were trying to occupy the same space we were about one foot apart before the other driver moved away again, much to my relief. I have learned that it is better to not pay attention to the cars and look at the skyline or the floor.

I had a very productive visit to the new space we are building out. It is about four times as large as the space currently occupied. It will be a very nice office when it is complete. I will be proud to have played my small part in its creation.

The people in Argentina are amazingly patient with my broken Spanish. I am able to ask for what I want, but do not always understand the response in what it costs. I actually overpaid by $10 pesos today, and the cashier was kind enough to give back my funds and repeat the cost in English. We both had a good laugh at my mistake. It cost $4.20 pesos for a bottle of water in a gas station while the hotel charges $25.40 pesos. It was worth the walk.

I had lunch with two of my contacts this afternoon. We were on the Rio La Platta. I learned that this is the widest river in the world. It separates Argentina from Uruguay. It is about 30 miles shore to shore at its widest point. The lunch was amazing. I was asked what I wanted to eat. I replied that I wanted a meal that was distinctly Argentinean. I was told then we will eat meat. We went to a restaurant where we were served carne empanada y queso frito. It was delicious! Next we went to the anti pasta bar and had more queso and vegetables and bread and seafood. After this they started to bring the carne (meat). They brought different cuts of beef, pork, and chicken. About every 10 minutes there was something new to try. There was good conversation and it was very relaxing. I now understand why Latin Americans eat dinner so late. The lunches are huge.

Before dinner, I went for a walk on my own. I bought some cerveza (beer) at a local tienda (store). They were very polite, and asked me where I was from. I stated Minnesota, USA. They very tentatively in English said “Barack Obama, yes.” I said “Si, el Presidente United States.” We had a short conversation in broken English and Spanish, it was enjoyable and fun.

I met my new friend Franz for dinner at about 20:00. We both had difficulty this morning finding our drivers. His interpreter actually approached me and asked in German if I was him. I happened to see Franz and waived him over and introduced him to his driver and Spanish interpreter. I had to wait another hour to make contact with my driver. My driver was calling my room while I was waiting in the lobby. Franz and I had another evening of laughter and conversation.

It is almost 23:00 here. I am tired, but have good memories of the day. Dormir beckons! I will slumber well and will write more tomorrow.

No comments: