Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A New Haircut!

More than likely, you will see me sporting a new haircut in the coming weeks. Well, hair might not be involved at all. There will be chemo involved for my family member. The cancer came back at a stage 1 in the pathology report. They are concerned that maybe some cells may have escaped to the rest of the body. They have given us some news that there is a 95% survival rating with the chemo and the staging level given. All and all still a very positive prognosis.

I will shave my head in solidarity with my family member. I don't do this because I am noble. I don't do this because I matter at all in this situation. I do this because I love this person, and I don't want them to feel alone.

There is a song by the Rascal Flatts called Skin (Sarabeth) in which this young ladies prom date shaves his head so that she does not feel out of place at the prom. This song has always made me sad and mad, but given hope. I have decided that in this case it is the least I can do.

At the funeral of my friend Jack, his kids eulogized him. It was one of the bravest moments I have ever witnessed as all of his children got up and told amazing stories about a unbelievable human being and father. One of his son's (who is bald), stated that God made a few heads that were perfect, the others, he granted hair.

I apologize, because I was granted hair, and you will have to endure my bald pate. Again I don't do this for me. High and tight with a sweep across the top to the right is my style. But my pride does not matter in this instance. I do this because I know it is one of the few ways I can offer a paltry excuse at comfort to a loved one. So while I may look like a tall version of Uncle Fester, know that I do this because I care about someone.

Each time you stand up for an ideal, you send forth a tiny ripple of hope. - Robert Kennedy

I hope that this small act bolsters my loved one's spirits. I hope it brings laughter and mirth to an otherwise stressful situation. Hell, I can save time at the pool too as I won't need to don a swim cap! Maybe there is some deep seeded narcissistic reasoning involved here? Who knows, maybe I am just being human for a change!

To the one that matters here, know that I love you!

3 comments:

Julie and Patrick said...

Hey Marc. That is an awesome thing to do, and you better put a picture of your hairless dome on your blog!!

I will pray for your loved one and your family as you go down this long road. Just know you guys aren't alone.

Kate said...

Marc, let me know if you need anything. I think it's incredibly strong of you to shave your head in support, I wish more people embraced it to draw attention to cancer, rather than covering it with a wig and trying to appear "normal." You and your family are in my thoughts these coming weeks.
Kat

Ms. R said...

I'm sending your family and loved one healing vibes. So, do you think rubbing your bald head will bring good luck? ;)