Monday, September 22, 2008

What Do You Want For Yourself?

This question is one that is deserving of much thought. I like the movie, the The Last Samurai and it is when Algren is very angry and shouting at Katsumoto; "What do you want from me?" and Katsumoto calmly replies "What do you want for yourself?"

It is a simple question, but a very deep one. Figuring out what you want for yourself; Is it a simple thing? Is it very complex? Is it a onetime thing? Or something that you can build on? Is it something that is selfish? Or is it something for the greater good? To you is it something altogether different?

What do I want for myself? I want to contribute. I don't want to be a superstar! I want to add value to anything that I am doing. I want to work as an equal team member, and move the team forward as a whole. I want for my contribution to not be noticed, but if I was not there to contribute to be missed. Not meaning that if I am not there to help that the endeavor fails, just that my team would miss my pulling on the oars in the same direction they were.

What do I want for myself? I want to bring humor to my environment. I have a very caustic sense of humor. I hope that most know that I do not mean anything hurtful by what I say, (unless, I am saying it to myself; were still working on that one). We live in very stressful times. some of it is self induced, and some of it is external in nature. I want to bring levity to those around me so that all stress is lessened.

What do I want for myself? I want in the end to have mattered. How will I do this? I don't know! I want to touch lives in such a manner as to have someone stop at some point after I am gone and say, "you know Marc could have helped with this." Hell, it does not even need to be after I am gone as that is a bit morbid.

You know the greatest thing about this question? The answers can change daily! The answers aren't always right the first time around. With the questions flexibility, you can always supply a new one with a little thought.

The work comes when you set out what you need to reach the goal you have set. Sticking to the tasks that you need to get done to reach what you have chosen. Doing the small things that will make you reach your destination. When you reach your goal, taking time to enjoy what you have accomplished. Then being to able to ask "What do I want for myself now?"

What do you want for yourself? Think about it!

If you don’t make a total commitment to whatever you’re doing, then you start looking to bail out the first time the boat starts leaking. It’s tough enough getting that boat to shore with everybody rowing, let alone when a guy stands up and starts putting his life jacket on. - Lou Holtz

No comments: