Thursday, September 18, 2008

Where Does This Come From?

I have never in my life been able to express myself in a constructive manner. I am fairly well spoken, but never have been able to get the thoughts out as fluidly as I do here. I find it strange for a kid that went to college without being able to punctuate a sentence, (Thanks mom for all those proof reads on term papers!) being pulled aside by a professor that said, "You speak very well, but you don't know how to punctuate a sentence? Just listen to how you talk and when you pause add a comma. When you complete a thought use a period." Never had it been laid out so clearly and concisely.

Later in life when at a very low point, a neighbor was discussing a book he had been assigned to read. The book discussed that Americans don't focus on what their strengths are. We have to deal with it all and try to be excellent at everything. The rest of the world allows it's citizens to focus on their strengths. China for example, if you are an athlete, you go to camps to improve your strengths. if your a math whiz, you go to math camps. At this time, I did not know what my strengths were. I did not think I had any.

Upon reflection, I have found a couple of strengths. I am trying to focus on them. I am trying to use them in a positive manner. I am trying to find more. Once and a while, I am still very self deprecating. I am a work in progress. I used to live for the end. Now, I am hoping to enjoy the journey.

Man’s rise or fall, success or failure, happiness or unhappiness depends on his attitude … a man’s attitude will create the situation he imagines. - James Lane Allen

I have imagined both. I have experienced both. I have achieved both. I will continue to learn how to focus on the positive.

Be of good cheer. Do not think of today’s failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to attain something beautiful is ever lost. - Helen Keller

God, imagine if someone had not taken the time to give this woman a voice! So much adversity to deal with and such an exemplary spirit of determination.

To all of you who were patient with me while someone was helping me find my voice. Thank you! For those of you who have pushed me to push myself. Thank you!

I still don't know where this came from, but I am glad it got here before it was too late.

No comments: